E-Mail Address

stephen.spada@charlottecountryday.org

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Hammer 400's

This workout was taken from Ben Hovis (I think he mentioned that it was a staple of Scott Simmons out at Queens). I had done this workout 2 weeks ago with Ben and John Compton at Providence Day) and as hard as it was...I loved it! So on Sunday night when my usual training partner, Rich Falcone, called me for an early morning workout...I obliged.

The workout goes like this: you run 20 400's at a solid pace (roughly 80 seconds for me), and you take 30 seconds rest in between. Every 5th one (so #'s 5, 10, 15 and 20) you hammer! That's it...Rich came over at 5am (he had to be on the road early) and we did a mile and a half warm up around Country Day and then did the repeats down and back on my street. Rich is a very strong runner and he let me hang around on the 80's and then he would drop the hammer (so to speak) on the hammers! We then did a mile and a half cool down and I felt good about the workout. I like it for a couple of reasons: 5 miles of quality running, short recovery (no procrastinators!) and hard running when you're tired...awesome!

BTW- Scott Foy (a talented and driven runner here at school) just came by my office to tell me that he was leaving to head up to Boston to run the national indoor HS mile on Sunday. He said he would e-mail me if it went well (I hope I get the e-mail!)...

No comments:

Post a Comment