E-Mail Address

stephen.spada@charlottecountryday.org

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Treadmill Tempo Run

My plan on Wednesday morning was to do a 10 mile tempo run on the roads.

I guess I was watching too much U. S. Open tennis on Tuesday night because when I woke up Wednesday morning my Timex had the time at 6:36 ante meridiem. My first thought was that I had a nice "lie-in"...British speak for sleeping in!

After quickly doing the math, I realized that I would not be able to get my early morning jaunt in. So after taking the kids to school and getting to work (one in the same), I readjusted my plan to do my 10 miles on the treadmill. I am a big fan of the treadmill (as I am a fan of hills, long runs, barefoot running, sand dunes, track workouts, etc.)

Let me say briefly that I understand that running on the treadmill does not carry the same degree of difficulty as the roads or the trails. Having said that, you also cannot let up!

Incidentally, the Alaskan Christine Clark trained exclusively on the treadmill for the 2000 Olympic Marathon Trials (which she won).

After getting my ipod all set up, I hit start and went right to 10 miles an hour. After a bit, I realized that my breathing was controlled and my form seemed relaxed...I was having a good run. After a half an hour of this, I readjusted the workout to make it a 12 miler. I, therefore, finished 72 minutes after I started...pleased!

As I said on Facebook (that right, Spada is now on Facebook), that workout was 1 piece of the New York City Marathon puzzle!

Thoughts of the treadmill?

Question: Who stayed with Hicham El G. when he took down Nourredine Morceli's mile record back in '99?

4 comments:

  1. Great questions, that would have been Noah Ngeny who would go on to win gold at the 2000 Olympics in the 1500m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not only a great runner but also a true student of the sport!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to guess "Steve Spada" or "Jean Paul Jean Paul". JoKin knows a lot about running, it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're more balanced then we are...we take this running stuff way too seriously...ha!

    ReplyDelete